“Star Wars” Spinoff Movies Will Be Origin Stories

September 16, 2013

Disney has confirmed that its planned spin-off STAR WARS movies will be origin stories.

The studio, which bought all rights to the franchise last October for $4.05 billion, has long said it plans to release a new film each year beginning in 2015. These will consist of a new trilogy of movies, starting with Star Wars: Episode VII, and a variety of standalone films which have been rumored to feature characters from the original trilogy.

Disney chief financial officer Jay Rasulo said last week during a conference call with investors that each of these spin-off movies would be an “origins story film”.

There have been suggestions that Disney’s spinoff films will be similar to the character-based superhero movies that have emerged in the past few years under its Marvel Studios banner.

“The first standalone film is going to center upon Yoda,” reported Harry Knowles from Ain’t It Cool News back in February. “At this stage, specifics are sparse, but Kathleen Kennedy is putting together a Star Wars slate.” Entertainment Weekly later reported that smuggler Han Solo and bounty hunter Boba Fett would also get their own films.

J.J. Abrams (Star Trek) will direct Star Wars Episode VII from a script by Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3). Production will begin early next year in London.

Disney has also revealed that The Empire Strikes Back screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg (Sherlock Holmes) will each write two of the standalone origin films.

The stars of the original trilogy, Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) and Harrison Ford (Han Solo), have all been rumored to return to the series.

Filed in: MoviesNews
Tagged with:

Comments are closed.

Back to Top

Facebook Iconfacebook like buttonYouTube IconTwitter Icontwitter follow button